Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Never have I been so thankful for Soldier Boy...






So here's the thing, my life is awesome...but I feel like it's only awesome to me.

Let's see...I went to Acapulco with some girlfriends...Ok, that was BOMB!!! But the thing I loved most about that trip wasn't the four days spent on the beach in the sun (which was amazing, be jealous) but the people that we met...both the creepers and the good guys.
After falling asleep at like 9pm on Friday night (picture it...four girls, dresses, hair, makeup, talkinging, laughing, ready...and then sleeping), we finally made it out on Saturday night and spent the majority of the night running away from creepers who wanted to "compartir mi cama" with my friend Liz...pobre Liz!! At one point, as we were going upstairs to use the bathroom and the forty year old creepers, one of whom had a daugher but not a wife, started to follow us, I turned around and was like, "nonononono, no necesitamos su ayuda!" Hey, it worked. Unfortunately, there was an equal number of creepers on the second floor...one of whom was a short round man with a fanny pack...A FANNY PACK?!?!!?!..so weird.

Somewhere among the creepers, my other friend managed to meet this really chill guy who was in Acapulco for the weekend with his friends. Don't worry: they weren't creepers, they weren't forty, they didn't have daughters,they were super nice and we were safe. The next few days were spent just chilling with them on the beach. That was my favorite part....just chilling, in Spanish! My Spanish is so far from perfect, but I love that I can hold my own and am forming friendships with people in another language. I still haven't gotten over that and I probably won't.

As for life back in Puebla...The other night I went the birthday part with a friend...I was soooo nervous. The last time I hung out with a group of Mexicans I spoke a total of maybe 15 words in the entire 4 hour span and two of those words were "Estoy nerviosa," how lame. I was really excited to go - to have the new experience, meet new people and to challange and practice my Spanish -but I didn't want my friends to feel like they had to babysit me all night...and they didn't. Despite an awkward start (everyone around me, including the people that I knew, left at the same time so that I was sitting alone on a really big couch), I somehow ended up in a conversation with a girl whose name I can't remember now. It doesn't matter, because the point is that we had a conversation and, even better, it was interesting!! Although, she did think that I was from Venezuela...I really need to stop saying that I'm from Minnesota because people often confuse the two...

A little later I was talking with some other people and the conversation had just left the niceties "where are you from?" phase and was starting to drift into the awkward silence "what do i say next?!?" phase when Soldier Boy came on. Oh Soldier Boy....such a bad song, but so fun to dance to! Anyway, the point is that it turns out "Do you know what super man that ho means?" is great for conversation! The guy thought it was so funny, and his girlfriend was horrified...but I think it was a bonding experience. Considering my grandma is going to read this, I'm not going to tell you what super manning a ho is, but if you really want you can look it up on urbandictionary.com...please don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment