Monday, January 26, 2009

mmmm....comida



I've been to the market a few times too, it's insane - pigs heads, avocados and chiles everywhere, and fish water...all of the fresh fruits and vegetables, some of which I couldn't even recognize, smelled so good, but for some reason the only smell that stuck to my clothes was the fish smell...gross. When I went to the one in Cholula with my host mom, there were fruits that she didn't even recognize and whole stands dedicated to medicinal fruits. Also, there was a really really little old lady sitting under a really really big truck. That is probably going to be my lasting impression of a Mexican market. Also, the fact that you can buy anything from underware to pets to rip off Beatles in additon to food all within a four block radius.











Its´s basically like the ball pool at McDonalds...



















Zocolo, the town center in Puebla









Resident mohawked duck on campus...

















View from my street...






So, churros in Mexico are way better than churros in the high school cafeteria. My friends and I have found the best place in Puebla to get churros, the first time we went there, we got a basket of fresh ones for free! The next time, because of course I've been there more times in the last weekend than I can count, we got ones that had literally just come out of the yummy grease. We freaked out when the dude tried to give us olds ones..."no, no, no, esos esos esos!" Also, we found a bomb bakery, like every sort of bread and pastry you can imagine. I had a pastry with a huge chunk of pineapple in the middle and my friend bought a croisant the size of her face. But I swear they don't have pan dulce here, at least not the kind they had in Guate, and that is going to be an issue...





Puebla is probably the best place in Mexico to be if your standard is food. There are these sandwiches called Cemitas, with cemita bread, avacado, queso, and pretty much anything you want...yum.

Also, apparently I'm still not accustomed to things here...yesterday at breakfast, my host mom gave me two fried eggs with salsa on top of tortillas...be jealous, it was delish, but then she let me struggle for a good minute before she told me to use my fork because it wasn't a taco!







No comments:

Post a Comment